How to make money online: 10 formulas that work
Now let’s look at the best ways to make money online for their economic potential, simplicity and reliability, and the results I’ve achieved with them.
1. Earn money from affiliate marketing
This is the system in my opinion it is one of the most affordable ways for any beginner who wants to generate passive income.
It hardly requires knowledge, the investment is almost zero and its revenue potential is very high. In addition, once assembled you can practically forget about it: only minimal maintenance will be required.
Affiliate marketing consists of creating a website where you will publish product analysis and recommendations. In these analyses you will put links to other websites where they sell the product. If you end up buying it, the seller will give you a commission for referring a customer.
Logically, you must have reached an agreement with those websites first. Luckily, today there are affiliate platforms (the best known is Amazon Affiliates)where you only have to sign up to be part of that agreement.
Let’s say you’re passionate about photography. You could create a website where you would publish analyses of different cameras or lenses with a link to the product page on Amazon for readers interested in purchasing.
Your website would appear in search engines like Google when people searched for analysis or comparisons of those cameras. They’d go into your article, click on the affiliate link, and in case they ended up shopping, Amazon would give you a percentage.
The revenue potential of this system depends on the market you have chosen (the more that category of products is sold online and the more expensive they are, the better), but also on the time you invest.
Basically, here are the tasks you’ll need to do:
- Create a web page. You can do it in 15 minutes
- Write analyses, comparisons and recommendations. You’ll spend most of your time here. You can pay someone to do it, but I recommend that at first you write to acquire knowledge and practice.
- Position your website in search engines. Although in the markets with less competition your website can position itself practically alone, sometimes you will need to present your website elsewhere on the Internet to make it more visible.
Earning some money with membership is relatively straightforward, but if you want to bill figures like these you’re going to have to spend a lot of hours and effort on it.
So forget about anyone who sells you that you can set up such a system. To earn more a month you’re going to have to sacrifice a lot of your free time.
The good news is that, after the initial effort, you will be able to dedicate yourself to picking the fruits. That’s not to say you can keep the system at a distance, working from anywhere in the world (something important for a travel lover like me).If you are looking for a tutorial to learn how to register and earn money with Amazon Affiliates
- Simple and easy to implement, even for in-experience people
- Passive revenue generation system: you must not manage stock or ship
- High revenue potential
- It can be integrated into your blog if you already have one
- Commissions for best-selling products are often low
- The challenge is to position the web above online stores
- There is more and more competition, the opportunity is now!
2. Create a website and monetize it with Adsense
Another of the best ways to earn money online passively is by monetizing ad-supported websites.
The concept is similar to affiliate marketing: you create a website on a topic, attract readers and once they are there you make money when they perform a certain action.
The great advantage of advertising is that you don’t need the reader to buy for you to take a commission. Most commonly, you make money when the reader clicks on an ad (known as PPC).
In fact, here’s how the world’s most important ad network works: Google Adsense.
Adsense is so popular thanks to its ease of use and number of advertisers. You simply apply and, once your application has been approved, you can already place ads on your website by inserting a small code.
With Adsense, you don’t choose what type of ads appear: Google automatically does so based on your website theme and reader profile. This way you can show personalized ads for each reader, which brings three benefits:
- Maximize the money you can earn with advertising. The more relevant and specific an ad is, the more likely the reader is to click on it.
- It prevents you from having to contact any advertiser directly. There are hundreds of thousands of companies advertised through Adsense.
- Don’t let the ads look forced. Being customized for the reader and thematic of the web, they integrate quite naturally into the pages.
Unlike affiliate marketing, it’s ideal here to create a website that provides an overview of a particular topic rather than posting comparisons and analytics.
The potential of this system depends primarily on three things: the theme you’ve chosen, the number of visits the web has, and the percentage of those visits that click on the ads.
The first point, the theme, is fundamental, because depending on that you will earn more or less money per click.
For example, on a Health website, Adsense may place food advertising on Protiens, Diet, Nutritions. However, on a website about university courses, postgraduate announcements and master’s degrees that cost a lot of money are likely to appear.
Which one would you make the most money on when a reader clicked?
Indeed, in the second. As the product being advertised is more expensive, the advertiser is willing to pay more money.
To find out what potential a topic has with Adsense, use Keyword Planner. Enter the theme there and see if it’s something that’s searched a lot on Google, and how much advertisers will pay you per click (called a bid).
A portion of the bid (68%) you and the other one (32%) Google, so the higher the bid, the more money you can earn with a website on this topic.
The percentage of readers who click on an ad is usually around 1.5%. In this case the click pays little, so to earn a good figure you would need to have a huge volume of visits.
If you created a website with information about forex and forex trading, with the same number of visits you would earn much more money:
In addition to what you get paid per click, the revenue potential is determined by the number of visits the website has. And that depends on the number of people looking for information on this topic on Google.
Fortunately, Google Keyword Planner also offers an approximate range of the number of times a given word or phrase is searched
Monetizing web pages with Adsense is relatively simple, but the most profitable topics are usually VERY competitive. To generate thousands of dollars you will have to choose a theme of high potential and work hard creating content and positioning them on Google.
- With some effort you can get one envelope a month
- It hardly requires investment
- Relatively easy to implement
- Does not require constant content updating (unlike affiliate marketing)
- High competition in markets where Adsense pays better
- You’ll usually need a very high volume of visits
3. Sell courses and services with your blog
If the previous two were two of the best ways to make money online, this is also one of the BEST way to make money online.
But like everything else, the more money something can generate, the more effort it takes.
It’s about creating a blog on a specific topic, positioning yourself as an expert on it, and selling your own paid online courses.
Sounds hard? It takes effort, but it’s not that complicated. The key is to choose a theme you master, where people are interested, and build you a reputation by publishing content.
The advantage of online paid courses is that they can become totally passive systems, because once created it costs you the same to sell one as two hundred. Simply publish it in video or PDF format and sell it through an automated system to your subscribers.
Generating money with this system isn’t fast, as you’ll have to work hard to earn readers’ trust, but you’ll be building a long-term, robust and differential online business.
The biggest obstacle is not technical (nowadays it is tremendously easy to create a blog), but mental: many people believe that they have nothing to teach, fear exposure to criticism or spend months doubting which topic to choose.
You should know that the vast majority of bloggers have started with those doubts. But they took the step, and as they were creating content for their blog they gained more experience and knowledge.
So if you think you have something to contribute, however small (there will always be someone who knows less than you), and you’re not afraid to expose yourself publicly, this is your best option.If you want to discover all the ways to make money with a blog, visit this article.
- Anyone can create a course based on their knowledge
- The process can be 100% automated
- You make it difficult for competitors to copy you
- It has the greatest revenue potential of all systems
- You’ll feel more realized
- You’ll need to create free, high-quality content
- Some people are afraid to expose themselves publicly
- Preparing the automatic sales system requires a lot of dedication
4. Offer your services on specialized pages
If you don’t have or don’t want to create a blog or a website (although anyone without technical knowledge can do it today), another way to get a handful of euros online is by performing small online services.
The operation is very simple:
- You sign up for one of the online platforms that put you in touch with potential customers FIVERR
- You publish your service and put a price on it
- You wait for them to hire you.
Your income will depend on the number of hours and effort you can spend on a regular basis. There are those who get a full salary or even several thousand a month, but it will usually be useful if you need an extra income.
Currently, the most popular platforms and therefore with the greatest ability to bring you customers are Upwork, Fiverr and Freelancer:
- Upwork: it’s only in English, but if you master it it has enormous potential because of the number of customers it has.
- Fiverr: Has many customers demanding services, but prices are low.
- Freelancer: Has less volume of customers and is not so easy to use.
They all typically stay around 10% of your billing and rely on your customers’ reviews to increase or decrease your popularity. The better your reputation, the more attractive you’ll be to users interested in services like yours.
That’s why it’s usual to get few jobs at first or have to offer them at a lower price, but little by little you’ll have more customers and you’ll be able to raise your prices.
- You don’t need to create a website or build an audience
- You can start making money from the start
- If you have any skills or are good at something, chances are there’s someone willing to pay for it
- Some platforms have a huge volume of customers
- You can’t turn it into an automatic passive income
- Prices are usually low
- There are services with a lot of competition
- The greatest potential is in english
5. Work as a virtual assistant
If you find it interesting to make money by offering online services and want to ensure greater regularity and more stable income, you can consider working as a virtual assistant.
The virtual assistant is one of the new professions that has brought with it the technological revolution of the Internet, and whose demand is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.
It basically consists of remotely supporting bloggers, digital entrepreneurs or even companies on relatively simple or mechanical tasks, so it doesn’t require overly specialized skills.
It’s not a passive system, but in return it gives you the freedom to work from wherever you want, a pretty attractive salary and also avoids having to create a website. You could literally start working as a virtual assistant tomorrow.
A virtual assistant typically handles the following tasks:
- Email management
- Dissemination of content on social networks
- Managing and organizing the agenda
- Billing management and income and expense reports
- Designing images and banners
- Managing communities in Facebook groups
- Writing newsletters, pages and articles
- Video and/or podcast editing
- Support in online courses and webinars
- Survey analysis and reader feedback
- Organization of face-to-face events
The key here is the trust you can earn from your client, as it will then delegate tasks of greater responsibility to you.
If you want to step up as a virtual assistant, there are three ways to get your first customers:
- Contact entrepreneurs, bloggers or small businesses directly and present your services. Try to provide a sample of your work to check the quality of your services.
- Keep an eye out for virtual assistant requests made to your subscribers by bloggers who are starting to stand out.
- Enroll in Freelancer, People Per Hour, Workana or Upwork,because many entrepreneurs are looking for virtual assistants there. If they are satisfied, then you can propose a long-term collaboration.
- You don’t need to create a website or build an audience
- Does not require any specific skills, just responsibility and good manageability
- You can do it from home and part-time
- At first your income won’t be very high
- May become monotonous or unre rewarding
6. Works as an editor
Generating content that attracts and trusts readers is a fundamental pillar of any digital strategy, and that is well known by both large companies and small entrepreneurs.
That’s why more than 3 million blog posts are published every day. There are posts about economics, animals, photography, food, health, marketing, video games, philosophy, politics… Anything you can imagine.
This need to create content has meant the emergence of another highly demanded professional profile in the online world: the editor.
Working as an editor is a very fast way to start making money online, as there is constant demand. You don’t need great skills to do it either: you just have to like to write and be good at it.
How much money can an editor make?
It depends on your experience, quality of the texts and your specialty including the words incorporated in the article.
If you’re interested in starting to work a path (and revenue) as an editor, I recommend you join platforms specialized in contacting editors with customers who need content, such as:
- iWriter– One of the most popular. It doesn’t pay too well, but it makes up for it with the number of customers who need content.
- LowPost: pays something better and has a decent volume of customers.
- Textbroker– Allows you to negotiate the price directly with customers, but you won’t find much demand.
- You just need to know how to write well (and like it)
- You can start making money today with the editors’ platforms
- If you’re good and striving, the long-term income potential is high
- There’s more and more competition and it’s hard to stand out
- As the editors’ supply increases, rates are going down
- It’s not a passive income at all.
7. Translate content
If you consider that you lack creativity or prefer something more mechanical than working as an editor, and you have a good level with some language, you can monetize your knowledge by performing online translation services.
There are many companies that need to translate texts from their blogs, websites or posts on social networks and that look for natives to do that work. Besides, it’s usually pretty well paid.
In fact, Netflix once opened a few nominations to find people who translated their series online through their Hermes program.
In the case of the translation from English into Spanish Spanish they came to pay 12 dollars per minute translated,not bad!
Now they no longer require that service, but there are also online platforms that connect translators with companies that need translation services, such as Gengo.
It’s a good extra, but it’s not going to give you a full salary either. The big advantage is that you can do it from anywhere in the world, it doesn’t force you to do anything and you can go at the pace you need.
- You just need knowledge in some other language
- You can start making money almost immediately
- Great flexibility to organize your work
- It’s not a passive income: the more you translate, the more you’ll earn
- It can become monotonous
- Its economic potential is not too great
8. Create a Youtube channel
With Google’s purchase of Youtube and the exponential growth in content consumption in video format, there were people who, overnight, started making a lot of money from their video channel.
Yes, there are more and more competitors, but Youtube is the second Internet search engine, only behind Google, and it is expected that in a very short time it will become the first. That means its economic potential is booming.
It’s hard to replace an entire salary, but if you can bring knowledge or fun to users and you’re funny in front of the camera, in the medium term it’s possible to generate some extra money with a Youtube channel.
How much money are we talking about?
You’ve probably heard that some Youtubers earn millions of dollars a year. But you can count them with your fingers.
This figure depends on the theme of the channel, since the contents on Forex or health are usually paid better than the channels about video games or curiosities.
Let’s say that after 18 months you manage to build a channel with 100,000 subscribers, which is not bad at all.
As you can see, you’ll have to publish videos consistently if you want to make money with Youtube, so it’s not really too passive unless they go viral or have thousands of searches a day.
Fortunately, there are also alternative ways to increase revenue:
- Contact companies and offer to put their advertising in your videos
- Sell custom merchandising,such as T-shirts and caps with your channel logo (when popular)
- Accept donations with Patreon
If you already have stable income by some other way, betting on a Youtube channel is not going to involve too much investment and over time it can give you more than one pleasant surprise.
- Youtube and the video format are growing
- There is still relatively little competition
- You hardly need to invest (you only need one camera and micro)
- Youtube doesn’t pay too well and it’s hard to generate decent income
- You’ll need time to build an audience
- You’re subject to their policies and they can shut you down.
9. Sell online via dropshipping
Another good way to make money online is by selling products online.
I know people who are achieving more per month of profit with very simple but specialized products, so if you do well it is possible to generate good income.
You should know that there are mainly two ways to sell online:
- Create your own website (again, it’s easier than it looks) and sell your products there
- Sell your products on third-party platforms (such as Amazon)
If you don’t make products, don’t worry. It’s as simple as finding a manufacturer with little popularity, buying the product and selling it to the final public through your website or platform, adding your margin to the price.
For this reason most often look for Chinese suppliers. Although you will have to carry out the import procedures, you will have greater margin.
The main drawback is that you will have to perform the tasks of billing and shipments of product, which can be a lot of work. To avoid that, you’d better look for providers who work through dropshipping.
The dropshipping system will allow you to turn your online store into a passive business. With it, you do not store stock or take care of shipments, you only take care of sending the order data to the manufacturer (there are very simple automated systems) and he takes care of sending the product to the customer.
Note: There are already websites like Meesho that put you in direct contact with manufacturers working with dropshipping.
The profit margin is usually between 20 and 50%. The downside? If the shipment does not arrive or a return has to be served, customers will claim you and you will have to resolve the issue with the manufacturer.
The keys to the success of this system are:
- Finding a product with more demand than supply
- Achieving a serious and reliable supplier
- Have a good profit margin
- Bring traffic to the web with organic positioning, Google Ads or Facebook Ads
10. Sell courses on online platforms
If you are not attracted to the idea of selling products online, having to search for distributors and create a website, an excellent alternative is to sell your knowledge on online platforms.
The concept is simple: you create a video course or text on a particular topic, upload it to platforms like Udemy,and put a price on it.
To create the course you can record yourself to video, record a presentation on your screen, or do it in text format (in pdf files), just as you would for your blog.
These types of platforms receive thousands of daily visits from users looking for courses on a topic, so if yours meets any demand and meets the expectations of users, you can make a lot of money.
Udemy also has a calculator, the Udemy Marketplace Insights,which allows you to calculate the potential of your online course according to your theme.
For example, if you created a photography course for beginners, this would be the potential:
As you can see, most photography courses generate just over 30 euros per month, while the most successful courses exceed 400 euros per month.
Of course, there are also instructors who generate thousands of euros per month, such as this web design course that is currently sold at 10 euros and has almost 20,000 entries. These cases are a tiny minority, but do the calculation of what their author has earned!
If you want to build a success course in Udemy, I recommend this strategy:
- First list those topics where you think you know more than the population average
- Create an instructor account in Udemy and enter your topics in the Udemy Marketplace Insights to calculate the potential of your course
- Stay on the subject where monthly income for popular courses is highest
- If the demand is ALSO HIGH and the number of MEDIUM or LOW courses, you are facing a good opportunity
Creating a course is laborious and not many instructors reach great numbers, but if it’s quality and the ratings are positive, you’ll gradually increase your turnover.
- You don’t need to pick up visits or create an audience
- Most courses do not reach per month of billing
- Course prices are low (Udemy sets a limit)
- The platform is not yours, and may change the conditions at any time
HERE WERE SOME OF THE WAYS MENTIONED TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE